S'pore Honda Civic Type-R Club
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
S'pore Honda Civic Type-R Club

A home dedicated to all Civic Type R owners.

HomeHome  SearchSearch  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log in  

Hi Any reviews by owners?

Go down 
+8
Thomas76
prelude
AhBao9388
P.O.W.E.R
Modfreak
toda_k20
5zigen
NineEleven
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
NineEleven

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2008-02-29

Hi Any reviews by owners? Empty
PostSubject: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 2:42 am

Hello, I'm a newbie here. Am seriously thinking of a JDM CTR or Sti/Evo X.

Unfortunately, I can't get a test drive & can only rely on magazine reviews which almost all said it's a very hard ride more for track than daily driver.

Can some of you owners please share what's your real impression of this car? How does it handle? The gearshift, the suspension, the steering, the sound, the engine etc.

Can you live with it as a daily driver? How did it come up against your previous rides etc. Many thanks to those who reply. Driving experience is very important to me as I don't want to get a wrong car....
Back to top Go down
5zigen

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2008-01-17

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 9:46 am

there has been a trillion comments on www.shc-forum.com u can find all answers there
Back to top Go down
toda_k20

toda_k20

Number of posts : 148
Registration date : 2008-02-10

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 10:37 am

NineEleven wrote:

Unfortunately, I can't get a test drive & can only rely on magazine reviews which almost all said it's a very hard ride more for track than daily driver.

Can some of you owners please share what's your real impression of this car? How does it handle? The gearshift, the suspension, the steering, the sound, the engine etc.

Can you live with it as a daily driver? How did it come up against your previous rides etc. Many thanks to those who reply. Driving experience is very important to me as I don't want to get a wrong car....

The response to the car varies as people who bought the car comes from a diverse background and had different previous experiences as well as expectation.

Generally, most would agree the car is very enjoyable to drive on a daily basis but as a passenger, the ride may be somewhat too choppy.

The balance of the car is its strength. Everything from gearbox, brakes, suspension, tires, exhaust are wonderfully matched to the power delivery and chassis rigidity from the factory.

If you are not into extreme tracking, there are simply no need to mod IMO.

The best driving expereince 100k can get you.

Last edited by toda_k20 on Fri Feb 29, 2008 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
5zigen

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 10:46 am

toda_k20 wrote:

OT abit but for 100k a used golf gti w/dsg is great experience as well Smile
Back to top Go down
Modfreak

Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2008-01-27

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 12:53 pm

It's a personal preference thingy and quite subjective, but for me, I loved it. The ride is a little harder but the grip and control is fantastic.

My CO and baby OC says it fine, no compliants and both like this ride too!
Back to top Go down
http://www.bioxten.com
toda_k20

toda_k20

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 3:06 pm

5zigen wrote:
toda_k20 wrote:

OT abit but for 100k a used golf gti w/dsg is great experience as well Smile

A MX5 too!!!! :-)
Back to top Go down
P.O.W.E.R

P.O.W.E.R

Number of posts : 1909
Registration date : 2007-12-12

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyFri Feb 29, 2008 8:25 pm

NineEleven wrote:

My advise to you is not to get the STI. Cause I owned 1 before. No Good. See what happened to my STI in the other folder. Mad
Back to top Go down
http://www.oneshift.com/carprofile/viewprofile.php?p=8538
toda_k20

toda_k20

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 12:25 pm

P.O.W.E.R wrote:
NineEleven wrote:

My advise to you is not to get the STI. Cause I owned 1 before. No Good. See what happened to my STI in the other folder. Mad

You are right about the past STi but I actually find the new JDM STi more interesting than the current Evo X. The looks grows on me each time I sees it. Not to mention the boxer note has always been interesting.
Back to top Go down
AhBao9388

Number of posts : 754
Registration date : 2007-12-10

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 12:47 pm

P.O.W.E.R wrote:
NineEleven wrote:

u donnoe hw to control the car u blame the car lol! there are also crashed evos crashed ctr crashed many many other type of cars. it all boils down to driver skill la. Wink i also langar my old car (evo) then hw also ask ppl don buy? its my skill lousy thats y crash la haha Laughing
Back to top Go down
P.O.W.E.R

P.O.W.E.R

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 3:51 pm

AhBao9388 wrote:
P.O.W.E.R wrote:
NineEleven wrote:

u donnoe hw to control the car u blame the car lol! there are also crashed evos crashed ctr crashed many many other type of cars. it all boils down to driver skill la. Wink i also langar my old car (evo) then hw also ask ppl don buy? its my skill lousy thats y crash la haha Laughing

Yeah, my skill is not as good as you lor, but if driving on a expressway at 80-80km/h and negoitating a bend can cause my Ex-STI to lose control and banged into the railings, and catched fire, I think there is something more than skill involved here. Razz

Anyways there's a review in a local mag regarding the new JDM STI vs the LAMBO. The interesting statement is that the LAMBO needs to slow down around bends, whereas the new STI will attack the LAMBO with full throttle. Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
prelude

prelude

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 6:28 pm

P.O.W.E.R wrote:
NineEleven wrote:

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
prelude

prelude

Number of posts : 874

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptySat Mar 01, 2008 6:28 pm

P.O.W.E.R wrote:
AhBao9388 wrote:
P.O.W.E.R wrote:
NineEleven wrote:

Yeah, my skill is not as good as you lor, but if driving on a expressway at 80-80km/h and negoitating a bend can cause my Ex-STI to lose control and banged into the railings, and catched fire, I think there is something more than skill involved here. Razz

Anyways there's a review in a local mag regarding the new JDM STI vs the LAMBO. The interesting statement is that the LAMBO needs to slow down around bends, whereas the new STI will attack the LAMBO with full throttle. Twisted Evil

Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
Back to top Go down
Thomas76

Number of posts : 222
Registration date : 2008-02-11

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptySun Mar 02, 2008 2:08 pm

Bro prelude, why your eyes so big ah hahaha
Back to top Go down
P.O.W.E.R

P.O.W.E.R

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 9:49 am

Bad ass black prelude.. lol!
Back to top Go down
AhBao9388

Number of posts : 754

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 11:11 am

P.O.W.E.R wrote:
AhBao9388 wrote:
P.O.W.E.R wrote:
NineEleven wrote:

aiyo i also stated my skill also lousy loh keekee... anyway top gear once shown the UKs FQs Evo makan LAMBO on cornering too. anyway i used to almost crash my ex car on the eway on a rainy day and mind u i was onli doin 60km/hr at the time bcoz damn heavy rain and im worried of aquaplaning. donnoe y it juz slide towards the concrete barrier. man it was spoky.
Back to top Go down
eiji

eiji

Number of posts : 569
Registration date : 2007-12-11

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 12:59 pm

My review of the CTR is that it is more of a track car than a daily car, day to day driving is ok if you are just getting from point to point, but if you travel a lot, its not exactly the most refined ride, the new EVO X is much more refined and better for long B roads/NSHW comfort. The prev JDM STI is not a good car for frequent driving as well.

The final decision is still the TS/OPs to make, whether you want NA or TC. Both has pros and cons.
Back to top Go down
http://www.idealparts.com.sg
Ah Rer

Ah Rer

Number of posts : 374
Registration date : 2008-02-01

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 1:07 pm

Back to top Go down
eiji

eiji

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 1:25 pm

Yeah, the new STI is a very good platform to buy stock. And the new looks is actually better than the pig nose.
Back to top Go down
5zigen

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 3:14 pm

every evo x owner i know says is a more refined version of evo9 & fd2r is track car bouncing alot. overall fc for any turbo is going to be much higher than a NA so depends wat u want.

NSH driving on stock fd2r is very stable at high speeds like 200kmh++ easily hitting 220kmh eithout much effort
Back to top Go down
nAEs

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2008-01-06

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyMon Mar 03, 2008 3:59 pm

NineEleven wrote:

Hi 911. If you come to a CTR forum, don't think you will get bad reviews of the car, if you get what I mean Wink. To be honest, it is not a bad car. Like what toda_k20 has stated, reviews from owners will vary as they come from all walks. For me, I have been driving saloon cars since I got my license and the switch to the CTR is a very big change for me. First thing that impressed me is the seat and driving position. Next is the gear change (really wonderful). Last will be the power (intoxicating). The drawback of the car for me is probably the turning ratio (really big and you couldn't do a proper u-turn to a 2 laner), the engine noise (I don't expect it to be quiet though) and the harsh suspension. Driver/front passenger will probably not take note of the bumpy ride, but rear passengers defintely will.
Back to top Go down
rbee

Number of posts : 53
Registration date : 2008-01-30

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyTue Mar 04, 2008 4:21 pm

5zigen wrote:
every evo x owner i know says is a more refined version of evo9 & fd2r is track car bouncing alot. overall fc for any turbo is going to be much higher than a NA so depends wat u want.

NSH driving on stock fd2r is very stable at high speeds like 200kmh++ easily hitting 220kmh eithout much effort
Bro at that speed affraid u might bounce bounce of the NS-Highway drive safe cheers maybe i kayu driver or bolla shrink w age lol!
Back to top Go down
NineEleven

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:31 pm

Thanks boys. Unfortunately, I haven't got a chance to drive both to review.

At the moment I'm leaning towards EvoX. It's just S$20K more, better equipped (HID, LSD, 4WD etc) & with a higher OMV as well, plus I like the looks better. A little more difficult to rice up by norm Lancers.

Whereas the CTR is pretty easy for a norm civic to dress up as one.

I read some reviews that claim the ctr doesn't feel like a FWD especially when attacking corners. It's not my only transport & I do want to learn proper driving with it.

I find that the ctr is a tad too much @ $100K or that the new Sti & Evos are getting too cheap!

The current Lambos have huge torque & are very very fast but like all things, there's only so fast you can go when you hit a tight hairpin. I did a few laps in Gallardos & Murcie before. The 4WD system simply eats around corner like on rails, esp. the Gallardo which has a more balanced chassis & SWB. The F430 is very light footed & the electronics keep you on 4s but it always give me cold sweat when I corner too fast.
Back to top Go down
eiji

eiji

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:34 pm

CTR has LSD HID as well.

all in all its the driving experience. Evo X is much more refined than STI or CTR or even Evo9
Back to top Go down
NineEleven

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyWed Mar 05, 2008 10:48 pm

eiji wrote:
CTR has LSD HID as well.

all in all its the driving experience. Evo X is much more refined than STI or CTR or even Evo9

Huh? Salesguy said no HID & I didn't see projector in the lamp. Saw a white one @ a PI along Up Changi rd, maybe I'll drop by & poke them Very Happy

Anyway, I want a blue unit & everyone seems to have only the white one. I saw the Spoon car pulled off in front of me last night. Sounds damn good!
Back to top Go down
5zigen

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? EmptyThu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 am

confirm has HID type lamp lah its so much brighter than standard lamp at nite go see for yourself.

all i can say is the ctr is completely different machine from turbo. if u r into horsepower race, forget the ctr i cant ever mod to 500bhp etc. if u want a super cornering FWD with lower maintenance cost like engine oil & petrol & has the best interior design compared to 08 evo & sti, then get ctr.

0-100kmh in 6 secs is no slouch in fact the driver counts the most on the race track there are many hondas outperforming turbo cars on the racetrack because the driver is damn good ask the lau jiaus Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Hi Any reviews by owners?   Hi Any reviews by owners? Empty

Back to top Go down

Hi Any reviews by owners?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
S'pore Honda Civic Type-R Club-
Jump to: